barcrest
Donator
Donator

Back Cover Image

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:12 pm

Have you guys thought of adding support for the album back cover image? I have been adding some extensive support to this site now in E-Touch. I have posted to try and get some of my users donating over here. I will be donating myself next friday when I am paid as this is such a great service and compliments E-Touch perfectly.

Thanks guys :D

zag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Back Cover Image

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Excellent thanks!

I'll have a look at back covers, it should be simple enough but I do wonder if there is enough content out there.

barcrest
Donator
Donator

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:25 am

Quite a large chunk of my library have back covers. They are no less common than the CD image which I believe you already support. I don't mind sharing what I have if you do implement it.

Do you have a method for bulk uploads? As a way of filling some of the gaps I could add some code to create a list of cover images that my users have that are not available on here. These images could be renamed to say artist - album (COVER).jpg and packaged up in a zip if you have a method for bulk processing? Just a thought.

barcrest
Donator
Donator

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:38 am

I have been looking, it seemed from the API that you have the CD image available however I couldn't see where it would be uploaded and I couldn't seem to download any. If you do have them are they in PNG format or JPG? Having the CD as a JPG wouldn't be much use to me because of the background but I am interested to know if it's there either way.

zag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Yeh its there in the database and api for the future.

We don't have enough storage (180gb SSD currently in server) to support the transparent PNGs yet.

But our friends at http://Fanart.tv does so you could always use their API as well.

barcrest
Donator
Donator

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:54 pm

I'll have to look at fanart.tv and see how their API works, is this site hosted or do you own the server? Do you need a fundraising drive to increase the storage? Thanks for the reply. Did you get the donation?

zag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 pm

We have a dedicated server that is co-located.

I have plans to update the storage at some point, it wont cost anything hopefully.

And yes saw your donation, it all goes towards the yearly hosting cost ;)

Fanart.tv uses the same type of API as us so its based on musicbrainz ID but also does name lookups if needed

barcrest
Donator
Donator

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:25 am

I have just looked at it and it seems you need to get the music brainz ID first. This is why I like it here it's fairly simple to pull out the required info, getting the music brainz id first then using that seems like an extra step I could do without. I don't think I will go any further with the fanart.tv api as this is a great resource. The only thing I would have gained would have been the PNG cd's but I can live without those right now and maybe they will appear here down the line.

I'm really trying to get my users over here but I think it's as successful as motivating them on my own site.

Sleevenote

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I was briefly discussing this with zag but if there are people here interested in back covers you may want to check out our app/database/format Sleevenote

We receive official artwork from labels but want to build a user-provided database for older / hard to find releases.

The artwork in our app is interactive and requires a bit of formatting / cleaning up typically.

A forum is coming soon but if anyone would like to get in touch please email me tom[ at ]sleevenote.info

Return to “Developers”