MasterPhW

REQUEST: Music Videos

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Hey there!
Found the site, because of the Facebook post of the XBMC team!
Nice stuff you are building here. Only thing really missing is a listing of all music videos of an artist, so we could add additional information to these videos and also scrape them later with XBMC.
What are you thinking? Would it be a great addition or is it to much information? I would love to see this feature coming, because there's no site available that is hosting this stuff afaik, but would probably understand, when there's no interest in adding this feature to the site.

zag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REQUEST: Music Videos

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Sounds like a nice idea, I'd be interested how it would work.

At the moment you can enter all the details of a track, with a music video link and a cover art. This info is also available on the API.

I guess the question would be what else would you like to to have? Maybe I could add the features to the track pages instead of a separate music video entry.

MasterPhW

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:38 pm

It would be great, if you could enter the standard details (XBMC names in brackets) like Artist [<artist>]: Song[<title>], release year [<year>], the CD [<album>] (to sort it into the database to an album), a Video Thumbnail [<thumb>], duration[<durationinseconds>], Genre [<genre>] and Info.

It would really enhance the music video views in XBMC and it would also be great to have a site listing all this stuff. But there's still some stuff, that need to be addressed: what if there are multiple versions of the same song with different videos? Or a longer and a shorter (cut?) Video?
But other than that, I already could provide some stuff (and would, if you add it), because I have a slightly big collection of music videos. ^^

zag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Video thumbnail is a great idea!

I also thought about having live versions of the music videos.

I'll look into it all. I'm sure we could improved Music video support.

Pernod

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:45 pm

MasterPhW wrote:It would be great, if you could enter the standard details (XBMC names in brackets) like Artist [<artist>]: Song[<title>], release year [<year>], the CD [<album>] (to sort it into the database to an album), a Video Thumbnail [<thumb>], duration[<durationinseconds>], Genre [<genre>] and Info.

This is already mostly available, except thumbnail and duration. If you don't see these details in XMBC then you need to discuss with XMBC developers.

I honestly can't imagine many users going to the trouble of capturing thumbnails from YouTube videos, it could possibly be automated though. Same for duration.

Regarding live videos, would be nice but only if they are official videos, we don't want users ripping their concert DVD's and upping to YouTube to link them here.

There is already a music video database at http://www.mvdbase.com, no links to actual videos but plenty of other details such as aired dates, director, etc. Not sure of mvdbase policies but could be a source of related data.

MasterPhW

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Of course all these stuff is available in XBMC, I'm already using it, so it would be easy for me to add them to theaudiodb. So no need to talk to any XBMC dev at all.

I also don't want to see Youtube video thumbnails.
There are more sources, than Youtube, I think you know that. Or are you using all your music from spotify?

And why are you arguing with Youtube the whole time?
IMDB has a concert database aswell. So we can check these live music videos there, too.

I never heard about mvdbase before, but I just checked it and really don't get in touch with it, one of the main reason is its style, look and feel.
I also don't see an API at all there.

Best thing would be to add it here to have a complete collection of ALL information and we're fine.

Pernod

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:24 am

MasterPhW wrote:I also don't want to see Youtube video thumbnails.
There are more sources, than Youtube, I think you know that. Or are you using all your music from spotify?

And why are you arguing with Youtube the whole time?
IMDB has a concert database aswell. So we can check these live music videos there, too.

I am now unsure of what exactly you are asking for. Are you referring to music videos for individual tracks (which are currently supported here by linking a YouTube video to a track), or music DVD's of concerts, etc. (which are also supported here by adding Video Albums).
All the videos details you mention in your first post (except thumbnail and duration) are all available here for both individual music videos and full concert DVD's.

MasterPhW

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:57 am

Pernod wrote:I am now unsure of what exactly you are asking for. Are you referring to music videos for individual tracks (which are currently supported here by linking a YouTube video to a track), or music DVD's of concerts, etc. (which are also supported here by adding Video Albums).
All the videos details you mention in your first post (except thumbnail and duration) are all available here for both individual music videos and full concert DVD's.

If you link a music videos for an individual track, you have to specify an Youtube video. I want to add the whole bunch of information to an artist, without the need for a youtube link. Sometimes Youtube and Vevo are blocked for some parts of the world. But the corresponding information is free and could be added, edited and viewed here.
And if all the stuff is already available, why can't I see it with every artist I tried?
I only can see a "Album -> Track -> Music Video: [Youtube -> not available]" links all over the site.
Instead I want a own listing. Or am I missing something?

zag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:53 am

MasterPhW wrote:If you link a music videos for an individual track, you have to specify an Youtube video. I want to add the whole bunch of information to an artist, without the need for a youtube link. Sometimes Youtube and Vevo are blocked for some parts of the world. But the corresponding information is free and could be added, edited and viewed here.
And if all the stuff is already available, why can't I see it with every artist I tried?
I only can see a "Album -> Track -> Music Video: [Youtube -> not available]" links all over the site.
Instead I want a own listing. Or am I missing something?

Yep as Pernod says, all that information is already returned by the API. You don't have to enter it again as its already in the database.

Here's an example:

Code: Select all

{
track: [
{
idTrack: "33008708",
idAlbum: "2133207",
idArtist: "111680",
strTrack: "Let's Go",
strAlbum: "18 Months",
strArtist: "Calvin Harris",
intCD: null,
intDuration: "0",
strGenre: "House",
strDescriptionEN: ""Let's Go" is a song by Scottish disc jockey Calvin Harris, featuring vocals from American singer-songwriter Ne-Yo. The track was released in the United Kingdom on April 22, 2012 as the third single from Harris upcoming album 18 Months. For the chart week dated May 5, "Let's Go" debuted at number two on the UK Singles Chart— marking Harris' third consecutive number two hit (held off by Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe"). As of July 2012, the song has sold 376,000 downloads in the United States. It will also appear on the deluxe version of Ne-Yo's upcoming fifth studio album, R.E.D. in November 2012. The song received a nomination for Best Dance Recording at the 55th Grammy Awards to be held in February 2013. The song was used for a Pepsi Max advert that features Lionel Messi, Didier Drogba, Fernando Torres, Wojciech Szczęsny, Frank Lampard, Sergio Agüero and Jack Wilshere.",
strTrackThumb: "http://www.theaudiodb.com/images/media/track/thumb/tttpyq1359507652.jpg",
strTrackLyrics: "",
strMusicVid: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zCy3EWs9Q0",
intTrackNumber: "13",
intLoved: "1",
strMusicBrainzID: "c9dc5be0-c394-4c7d-aa61-cde1627131cd",
strMusicBrainzAlbumID: "98432828-5764-4892-9e3f-9c674cf70acb",
strMusicBrainzArtistID: "8dd98bdc-80ec-4e93-8509-2f46bafc09a7",
strLocked: "unlocked"
}
]
}

I'll be working some more on this today to implement director and screenshots.

That http://www.mvdbase.com/ link is awesome, I'll try and see what other things they list over there. Again we also support Music DVDs here with the album API.

I'm a big fan of Music Videos too so would like full support.

MasterPhW

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:00 am

Ahh, my browser crashed and I have to write the response again... sh*t.

I've looked at your example and have to say, that you both are right and there are already a lot information there.
But I would suggest, to add some additional variables, like intVidDuration, strVidDescription**, intVidRelease or strVidRelease if you want to have translatable months) and add a number to strMusicVid to support multiple music videos and/or live stuff (strMusicVid1, strMusicVid2, ...)
And of course strVidDirector and VidThumb like you already said.

But I'm still wondering, where you could enter these information. Atm I couldn't find it, so I thought it still has to be added.

Return to “General Site Chat”